Since I ADORE October, I'm paying homage with an altered book-dedicated to October and Halloween. Every 2-3 days, I'll post steps on creating (and completeing) your very own October art journal. (Steps 1-5 are at the end of this post and under the "Art Tutorials" tab on this site.)
I would LOVE for my readers join the fun, so I'm giving away this super spooky book from my not yet altered book library. Man, Myth & Magic: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Supernatural, Volume 17 (c) 1970.
These books are awesome for spooky art journals because they have all kinds of gothic pictures and spooky headings. They also have the library check out card pocket, which I'm going to use as a tag holder in my project.
Wait! There's more!
The winner will also receive 3 sheets of Halloween themed scrapbook paper (12"x12")AND a stack of collage paper taken from the Man Myth Magic books.
To enter, simply comment with a link to one of your spooky pieces (or a spooky piece you adore). The more Halloweeney the better! PLEASE leave your email address either in the comments or through firstname.lastname@example.org.
The winner will be drawn from a hat this Friday, October 7th.
ATTENTION ARTISTS AND OTHER CREATIVE TYPES: I'll be happy to post a link to your site or store along with your Halloween piece photo. Simply leave a link to your site when you comment.
Halloween Altered Book-STEPS 1-5
1. Wrap paper around book making small creases to mark where to use bone folder. If paper is too small, use an additional piece to finish cover. Bone fold all creases.
2. Glue Halloween collage paper to front of book with gel medium. Rub bone folder sideways on paper to smooth out air bubbles.
3. Measure a strip of black scrapbook paper 2.5-3.5" wide and cut. Adhere to spine and side of book with gel medium. Secure with bone folder.
4. Paint envelope or old library card envelope with a layer of black acrylic paint. Dab with a wallpaper sample or a piece of paper towel. Once dry, repeat this step using purple paint instead.
5. Measure and cut a tag to fit inside the envelope (like a bookmark). Mix orange acrylic paint with glazing medium. Paint tag, wipe with paper towel. Repeat this step with yellow. Continue repeating until desired depth is created.
Stay tuned for more steps on completing this book. Email me a pic of your work in progress and I'll post it to my Halloween Altered Book library (coming soon).
As always, feel free to contact me with questions, ideas, comments.